I think it’s important to get a little daily dose of not only the God and Goddess but of the craft itself (witchcraft or whatever). I first got the idea from reading The Goddess is in the Details by Deborah Blake where she says it’s important to try and fit some daily Wiccan or Pagan elements into your life including prayer and a few other things. Since I finished reading the book, a few days ago, I’ve been doing just that.These are the things I’ve tried and how they’ve worked for me.
- Morning Prayer: Blake suggests what she does, and that is a little talk to the God and Goddess just as you’re waking up for the day, before you even open your eyes or get up. I open my eyes and try to wake up just a little so I don’t slur my words and can put sentences together better. For me, it’s helped be feel less weird and awkward when speaking out loud to the gods, which sometimes to me it does. It’s help shake my insecurity and find my voice better.
- Praying when you need help: Just yesterday the negativity and bad energies were getting really high in my house. I lit some sage and prayed to the God and Goddess, even tied in Air and Water to help. I ended it with “So mote it be” and everything went quiet, though that happened just a few seconds before I said it. My parents argument didn’t start up again and even later in the night there were only a few rumbles of discontent. After I said “so mote it be” I pretended everything was just like I prayed for it to be. Soon I had this strange song in my head and all I remember of it was “Green eyes shining” or something like that. I had never heard of the song before but now it was stuck in my head. I had been trying to shake off anger and depression before the prayer but after it melted away and as that song played in my head I started, though not seemingly by intention, started forming a plan to fix my problems. As the plan began to form more and more and solidify, I heard the song less and less, finally not at all to the point I can’t remember anything but the few words. Not only did I have a plan to solve my problems, I was filled with joy and love and serenity. It was amazing.
- Getting in touch with nature: Whether you exercise outside or just take a moment to appreciate nature while you walk to your car, it’s important to get that connection because nature is a core piece of Wicca and other Pagan religions. I’ve haven’t been on a run at Centennial Lake in the last few days but I’ve taken the time to enjoy nature whether taking in deep breaths on fresh air, enjoying the sight of the sky, taking in the small wildlife in my neighborhood or paying more attention to the plants and trees around me any time I’m outside. Small things can make a real difference and just taking a deep breath of fresh air can be soothing and/or re-energizing.
- Meditation: Haven’t done much of this, but it is useful.
- Realization: You use the four elements everyday from the food you eat to the air you breathe to the water in you shower and in your glass. Think about those elements next time and every time you use them.
- Learning: The God and the Goddess created everything around you. Connect to them about the amazing things they created and what people create with their creations.