Like everyone, I have my ups and downs, everyday. These are some tips I have found that work. (I’m a girl, so some of these are exclusively for girls)
- When I’m sick or feeling physically weighed down on top of being in a bad mood, I find that dressing up like you were going to go out with friends helps. Taking a shower, washing your face, putting on scented lotion or spritzing perfume, putting some make-up on, doing your hair, getting dressed in maybe jeans or nicer can really do a number on how you feel. Even doing just some of these will help. When you look good, you feel good (a good deal of the time).
- Take time out of your day to do something you absolutely love whether it’s watching a favorite show, going for a hike, grabbing a piece of Godiva, or putting on your favorite song and doing a little dance. Life is full of the bad stuff and times were you get to have no fun, so add a little pleasure in there to make life a little better. Indulge yourself sometimes.
- Entice your sense of smell. Sometimes just putting on some incense, wearing a favorite perfume, smelling a flower or relaxing for a moment to take a deep whiff of a smell you love can make a lot of difference to your mood. When you make a favorite food (or buy it), take a moment or two to just breathe it in. When you have to study for a dreaded test, thing about spraying a little perfume on the books you have to read or around your computer or if you’re a guy, go study somewhere that smells good, as long as it’s not somewhere that will distract you.
- Exercise. I’m not just talking about the workouts you do specifically for getting or staying shape. I’m also talking about just doing something physical in general. Go for a walk, a bike ride, a boat ride (peddle boat, kayak, canoe), a yoga class, go dancing, hiking, fishing, or visit someplace that requires you to walk a lot to see the sights. You can go play with your kids, take your dog (or someone else’s dog you know and if they let you) for a walk/run/play, or play a sport for fun with your friends/family. Besides the fact that exercising releasing endorphins it also wakes up your mind, releases pent up energy, gets the blood flowing and depending on what you do can get you laughing, seeing beautiful sights, and bonding with friends/family/pets. All of those are mood lifters.
- Music. We all know songs that lift us up (where we belong or would like to be, lol) and those that get us in a bad mood. Put some music on of the first kind while you cook, study, exercise, getting ready, waking up, or are on the move.
Hope some of these help. Healthy and happy thoughts to all, even those who aren’t reading this.